Tuesday, September 8, 2015

First post

I've been considering starting up a tea review blog for quite a while now. I honestly have no idea what I am doing here, so this will be somewhat of a learning process for me, so bear with me as I get things up and running. I hope this will be a fun and informative journey for all involved.

I've been drinking tea for about 5 years now, and I got serious about it a little over a year ago. Pre-2010, I was a soda junkie. I would drink upwards of 4 cans a day. Tea was nothing more than another bottled sugary drink for me. I decided I needed to make a change, and my New Year's resolution for 2010 was to give up all sugary drinks. I dropped it all cold turkey and never looked back. Naturally, I needed something to fill the void, and the obvious choice for me was tea. Of course at this point, I really only  knew about the bagged stuff sold at my local grocery stores, and for several years, tea bags were my only exposure to the world of tea.

Then a Teavana opened at my local mall. I honestly don't even want to think about how much money I spent at that place, but I was so excited to have a local source of "good tea" that I kind of went crazy there. Looking back with what I know now, the tea I bought there was never that great comparatively, but it was still eons ahead of the tea bags I had been drinking. Then one day I was drinking one of their blended greens (Sakura Allure, if I remember correctly), and I just looked at the neon red liquid and thought "there has got to be a better way".

I found the /r/tea subreddit and discovered an entire universe of high quality loose leaf tea available online. I ordered a variety of teas from a couple different online tea retailers, and had my eyes opened to the incredible variety of tea produced all over the world. I couldn't believe that I had been missing out on this liquid gold for all these years.

I started my blogging career doing the "Weekly What-Cha Reviews" in /r/tea, just posting short reviews of the variety of teas I had ordered from What-Cha. Life sort of got in the way and those took a back seat, but I decided to start a full-fledged blog so I can review all kinds of teas from all kinds of different sources. I always love trying new kinds of tea and will be sharing my thoughts on them here. Join me in my journey, won't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment